Have you ever tried zipping up your jacket but to your dismay, the zipper ends up unzipping itself? This kind of annoying problem is a telltale sign that the zipper slider has already worn out.
An easy and quick fix here is to crimp the slider of the zipper for it to be tighter and to grab the zipper teeth once again. A much better fix here is to replace your jacket zipper slider. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Get a pair of needle nose pliers and end nippers.
- Buy a new zipper slider and zipper stopper.
- Remove the old slider and stopper.
- Slip the new slider on.
- Attach the new stopper.
Replacing the slider can fix most zipper issues. If the zipper teeth are already damaged, or your zipper has a different type of problem, you can buy new ones instead from https://www.zippershipper.com/zipper-sliders.
How to Tighten Zipper Sliders
You can use a pair of needle nose pliers for crimping the old slider back to the original size. There are times when it will be able to work properly again although the fix must only considered as something temporary.
This is something you can do with no need to remove the old slider. You can apply some gentle squeezes on both sides of the slider then check to ensure that each side is even. You have to be careful to avoid applying excessive pressure when you crimp or you might end up breaking or jamming the old slider which is a very common occurrence.
What You Need to Replace Zipper Sliders
Before you even start with the project you have in mind, you have to make sure that you have all the parts and tools you need.
- An end nipper tool for removing the old zipper stop
- Needle-nose pliers for crimping the new zipper stop right into place
- Zipper slider – Many jackets feature a single-slider zipper. If your jacket comes with a double slider, two replacement sliders will be needed for the project. Take note that it is important to get the correct replacement slider, something that is not easy to do all the time. Check the back of the zipper slider to know the model number and look online to get the right slider. If you cannot find the correct one, you might want to take your jacket to the nearest repair service.
- Zipper stop – Only one zipper is required although these are usually sold in packages with two or more stops.
Removing Old Zipper Sliders
1. Start by moving the old slider to the zipper’s bottom to remove it.
2. Use the end nippers for gently pinching the stopper above the zipper. Grabbing the stopper securely without cutting it is the goal. The stopper only needs to be removed from on the part where the slider is on.
3. Pull away the stopper from the fabric carefully.
4. Pull off the old slider and note its orientation for you to match it when you install the new slider.